General Information

NIS Community Outreach

NIS Staff are committed to working with the community and educating residents, businesses, and visitors of related codes and standards. This outreach is conducted through City events such as Surf’s Up at the Community Development Booth, bulky item clean-up days, and being invited to block parties/neighborhood watch meetings. If you are interested in having NIS/Code Enforcement staff attend a neighborhood gathering or other community events, please contact Joe Chen at (626) 308-2806 ext. 4627 or


Abandoned Shopping Carts 

Please help us keep San Gabriel beautiful by reporting shopping carts that are being taken from shopping centers and left on nearby streets and sidewalks. Stray carts can cause accidents and create an unattractive and blighted appearance in the community.

To report a stray cart, call West Coast Shopping Cart Service at (888) 787-2278 or report online. They will send a crew to remove the cart from the street.

Graffiti AbatementDocument

In 2003, the City recognized the need for a proactive graffiti abatement program. To address the graffiti problem, the city contracted with a professional graffiti contractor to abate graffiti on private property. The contractor surveys the city and removes graffiti when it is observed. The contractor has color matching capabilities and a guaranteed 24-48 hour response time. An effort is made to remove vulgar and profane graffiti from private property within two hours of it being reported.

Graffiti in the public right-of-way is removed by the City’s Public Works Division. Public property consists of City of San Gabriel street lights, traffic signs, street signs, directional signs, park facilities and equipment, city buildings, and sidewalks. Graffiti is a crime that can lead to a misdemeanor conviction or a felony conviction.

Reporting Graffiti 

To report graffiti on private property, call the City’s Graffiti Hotline at (800) 794-7384. 

To report graffiti on public property such as utility poles and streets signs, contact Public Works at (626) 308-2825.

Home Repair Assistance

If you have received a notice of violation from the city instructing you to make repairs to your home or you are in need of assistance with home repairs, Neighborhood Housing Services of Los Angeles (NHS) offers assistance to homeowners unable to make needed repairs to their homes. If you are in need of assistance please visit NHS online at or call them at (213) 381-2862.