|To schedule a bulky item pickup||Athens Services
|To report items illegally dumped||Neighborhood Improvement Services
|To report ACTIVE illegal dumping||San Gabriel Police Department
|For hazardous waste information||Countywide Hazardous Waste
Old couches, TVs, mattresses and even toilets strewn on the curb make our city look dirty. And discarding your bulky items in the right of way is also illegal - it can result in a fine up to $1,000. Dumping items and trash illegally is a misdemeanor and violators will be prosecuted.
If you receive a red tag on an item or your front door, please contact Athens to schedule a bulky item pick-up and remove the item until day of scheduled pick-up. Property owners are responsible for the conditions in front of their property near the parkway. The City's contract with Athens allows for two items to be picked up per week for FREE. We just ask that residents call Athens or go online to report items at their address so Athens can schedule a pickup. Let's work together to reduce illegal dumping by informing your neighbors of the process and contacting Athens as soon as you see an item in front of your property.
Bulky Item Pickup
It's easy to keep our city clean. Just call Athens Services or go online and schedule an appointment and they will come pick up your bulky item for free. This includes single-family and multiple-family properties. Apartment and condo tenants can call for pickups too! There's no excuse, #DontTrashSG!
- Bulky Items (furniture, refrigerators, mattresses, etc.) - 2 items each week for free. Additional items for a fee.
- E-Waste (computers, printers, TV's, etc.) - 2 items per year for free. Additional items for a fee.
- Not accepted - hazardous materials, oils, tires, paints, etc. Please contact Countywide Hazardous Waste Roundup at (888) CLEAN LA
Call 888.336.6100 or visit www.AthensServices.com
Tips to Reduce Illegal Dumping
For property owners who want to reduce illegal dumping in front of or near their property, we have listed some tips below to help. Just like some other crimes, it can be difficult to completely stop it from happening, but we can work together to reduce it to the fullest extent.
- Inform neighbors, tenants, and guests to schedule a bulky item pickup with Athens before placing furniture, mattresses, and other items out near the curb.
- Install real or fake security cameras to help catch who is doing the dumping.
- Install "No Dumping" signs around your property. These are commonly found at hardware stores and there are many affordable options on Amazon.
- Keep the exterior of the property well lit to help reduce illegal dumping and other crimes.
- Print out Bulky Item flyers to handout to tenants, neighbors, and guests.
- Report items as soon as you see them. If it is in front of your property call Athens to schedule a pickup or if you see it somewhere else contact NIS at (626) 308-2826.
If you see someone ACTIVELY dumping anywhere in the City of San Gabriel, please call the non-emergency number at the San Gabriel Police Department (626) 308-2828 to report the violation. This can help us stop repeat violators.