Help for Homeowners


Before obtaining a permit, Planning Division approval is usually required. Click on the Planning Division page for information on the Planning Division's requirements and processes.

To obtain a permit, please visit San Gabriel City Hall where you can fill-out a permit application for the type of project that you wish to complete. The property owner or licensed contractor may obtain a permit. Fees vary based on the type of project for which the permit shall be issued.

Who Can Obtain A Building Permit?

A California Licensed Contractor

When the contractor/owner is not available to personally obtain the permit, an Owner-Builder Proxy or a Contractor Proxy is required. This form allows them to designate a proxy to perform this duty on their behalf. A letter of authorization is not acceptable for pulling permits by an agent.

Contractors working in the City of San Gabriel are required to have a valid State of California Contractor’s License in good standing. If a contractor has employees, proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance must be shown at the time of permit issuance. Contractors working alone may waive this requirement, but must show their State Contractor’s License.

Looking for a Design Professional, Contractor, or Specialized Inspector Form

California State License Board

Contractor Authorization Form

Home Owner of Record

A homeowner can obtain a permit to do the construction, alteration or repair of a one or two-family dwelling and accessory buildings or facilities thereto if:

The owner resides or intends to reside in the dwelling, showing proof of residence and ownership. The construction is performed by the owner, and the owner signs a statement that no person will be employed in a manner as to become subject to the workers' compensation laws of the State of California.

When a permit is taken out, the signature and identity of the applicant must be verified. A California Driver's License, State of California Identification Card, or other positive identification will meet this requirement.

Prior to the issuance of a permit, the following approvals may be required:

Approved Grading Plans (if required by Engineering Division)

County Sanitation District of Los Angeles (new single-family residence)

School Fees Paid (for new habitable construction 500 sq. ft. or more)

Wet Stamped & Signed Grading Certifications (if grading is required)

Owner Builder Information Form

When is a Permit Required?

What Doesn’t Require a Permit?