- Feature Links
- Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The City of San Gabriel continues to address the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic by modifying its operations and by adhering to health guidelines outlined by the County of Los Angeles. This page includes information about restrictions outlined under the County of Los Angeles’ Safer at Home order as well as information on the gradual reopening of our community.
Safer at home
Under the direction of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, the City of San Gabriel will be participating in the following measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- You may perform essential activities, such as picking up groceries, picking up medication and healthcare supplies. A list of grocery stores open in San Gabriel may be found here.
- You may walk, hike or bike outside and participate in outdoor activities that do not involve groups of individuals while practicing social distancing.
- A cloth face covering that covers the nose and the mouth must be worn whenever you leave your residence and are in contact with, walking near, or interacting with those who are non-household members in both public and private places
- All permitted activities must practice physical distancing, which requires individuals to be separated by at least six feet of space.
As a result of California Gavin Newsom’s recent directive on July 13, the following activities and locations must close:
- Indoor dine-in restaurants
- Indoor wineries and tasting rooms
- Indoor movie theaters
- Indoor family entertainment centers, including bowling alleys, miniature golf, batting cages and arcades
- Indoor zoos and museums
- Indoor card rooms
The following locations or activities must also close unless they can be modified to operate outside or by pick-up:
- Fitness centers
- Worship services
- Offices for non-essential sectors
- Personal care services, like nail salons, body waxing and tattoo parlors
- Hair salons and barbershops
For information about operational protocols for businesses and areas that may reopen under guidance from the state, please read this health order from Los Angeles County.
- Essential businesses must provide a cloth face covering for all of their employees to wear while performing duties that involve contact with other employees or with their public and to post their physical distancing plans.
- The public is required to wear a face covering to enter essential businesses
For answers to common questions about COVID-19, face masks and testing sites, please visit the following resources:
|General questions about COVID-19||Los Angeles County|
|Information about COVID-19 testing sites||Los Angeles County|
|Information on the gradual reopening of Los Angeles County||Road to Recovery - Los Angeles County|
|Questions about face masks||Los Angeles County|
|Need someone to talk to?||T: 800.854.7771|
W: Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health
For trusted information about COVID-19, we encourage you to follow the following resources:
|Los Angeles County Department of Public Health||T: 2-1-1|
|California Department of Public Health||T: 916.558.1784|
|Centers for Disease Control and Prevention||T: 800.232.4636|
San Gabriel responds to COVID-19
Message from the Mayor
- Read this important message from Mayor Denise Menchaca
- Here’s a video update on COVID-19 for the week of August 7, 2020
COVID-19 impact on City services, events and programs
- Select City services will be conducted via email, over the phone at 626.308.2800 or through our website. Learn about modified, postponed or canceled City events and programs here.
- Emergency services - including police and fire response - remain uninterrupted should emergency requests should be directed to 9-1-1.
Current number of cases of COVID-19
- As of August 11, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has confirmed 474 cases of COVID-19 in San Gabriel.
Resources for the community
- Residential and business tenants: the City Council has passed an eviction moratorium. Learn more.
- Select San Gabriel services and businesses - including grocery stores - will remain open for community members during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The County of Los Angeles has resources for residents, including an FAQ, information on an eviction moratorium, updates on the number of COVID-19 cases in Los Angeles County and other general information.
- Learn more about the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act here.
- Our team at Community Services has gathered online recreation tools for kids and adults.
- Sign up for important alerts from the City of San Gabriel through Alert San Gabriel.
- The Workforce Development Aging & Community Services from Los Angeles County is offering a free pickup and delivery program for older adults and individuals with disabilities.
Resources for businesses
- Our Economic Development team has pooled together resources for businesses impacted by COVID-19.
Be kind. Stay informed.
As a friendly reminder, this is a good time for all of us to become prepared, but not to panic. It is important that we do not act out of fear, but rather focus on treating everyone in our community with kindness. Inform yourself from reputable sources, and be aware of misinformation surrounding COVID-19.
Kindness is a part of our City culture and together we will continue to support an environment in which all community members feel safe and welcome.
Last updated: August 12, 6:30 p.m.