Dance Permit

Dance Permit Information 

San Gabriel Municipal Code Chapter 114 requires that all persons, associations, or organizations obtain a permit from the Chief of Police before conducting any dance in the City of San Gabriel. A permit is not required if the dance is held in a public café or restaurant that has a valid city business license and a valid dance permit issued by the city council or if the dance is held at a private residence for occupants or invited guests.  

An application for a dance permit must be completed and filed with the San Gabriel Police Department at least fifteen (15) days before the dance is to be held. You will be required to obtain security officers for your dance before a permit can be approved. The number of security officers required will be determined by the Department based upon the number of guests, type of dance, and whether alcohol will be provided. Security officers may be obtained from one of the private security companies licensed to do business in San Gabriel. You must bring in a contract or receipt from the company you hire showing the number of officers obtained and the hours they will provide security. For a list of licensed companies, contact the San Gabriel Police Department's Administrative Services Bureau at (626) 308-2843.You may also request that security be provided by the San Gabriel Police Department. The cost for an officer is $45.00 per hour and is subject to availability. Before a dance permit can be issued you must also pay an application fee of $55.00 to the City of San Gabriel to cover the cost of processing the application.  

Any person conducting a dance for which an admission fee is charged must obtain a business license from San Gabriel City Hall, 532 W. Mission Drive, San Gabriel. A business license may not be required of charitable and non-profit organizations if evidence is furnished to the Director of Finance as he may require. In any event, a dance permit is still required to conduct the dance. If alcohol is going to be sold at your dance, you must also obtain a permit from the State of California Alcoholic Beverage Control.  

Permit applications may be obtained by contacting Sgt. Rebecca Gomez at the San Gabriel Police Department, 625 S. Del Mar Avenue, San Gabriel, CA 91776 or by calling (626) 308-2843. He will advise you on the number of security officers required for your dance. The San Gabriel Police Department wants your dance to be a memorable event. By securing a permit we can ensure that you are aware of all the municipal codes involving dances and that security is provided for those attending.