- Arts & Culture
- Cultural Celebrations
- Native American Heritage Month
Native American Heritage Month
This page includes cultural events and programs being promoted on behalf of the HEAR Commission. For more information on the HEAR Commission click here.
San Gabriel Public Library will celebrate Native American Heritage Month with:
- A vibrant book display at the library for all ages. Check these out and enjoy at home!
- California Native Plant Program
- LA County Library is teaming up with the Theodore Payne Foundation and Kat High of Hupa descent who will first explain how California Natives used native plants. Then the Theodore Payne Foundation will demonstrate how to plant and care for native plants. Each customer will receive supplies for 2 plants! This LIVE virtual program will take place on Tuesday, November 9, 2021 @ 6 PM. Please pick up a kit at San Gabriel Library ahead of time. Call 626.287.0761 for availability.
- Take-home kit: "Create your own corn husk doll". Corn plays a major role in both food and religious aspects of Native cultures in the Americas. These dolls were made by a number of indigenous groups across the Americas and are still made in various Nations all over the United States. For all ages. Pick up a kit during the month of November.
- Take-home kit: "Ledger Art". Ledger art came about in the 19th century during the forced relocation of the Indigenous peoples of the Great Plains to reservations. This art form utilizes pencil and ink on old ledger/accounting paper and continues to be an art medium for contemporary Native artists. Learn the history of this art form and create your own version of ledger art. For adults. Pick up a kit during the month of November.
- Visit https://lacountylibrary.org/virtual-programming/ for more events.
Students ages 11-18 residing in or attending school within the City of San Gabriel are invited to participate in an enriching essay contest. The details of the contest are listed below:
- Prompt: Describe ways in which the indigenous peoples of the region have helped shape the City of San Gabriel. Including but not limited to buildings, art. and architecture.
- Length: 250-400, double spaced, 12 pt. font
- How to Submit: Submit your completed essay in PDF format by clicking here.
- Deadline: November 30, 2021 at 5pm
- Prize: 1st place: $50 gift card to Target, 2nd place: $25 gift card/ certificate to a local business. There will be a winner selected for Middle School and another for High School age participants.
- To view the program flier click here.
Video Celebrating Native American Heritage Month
The City of San Gabriel will publish a video on the City's YouTube channel in Mid-November. Check back for more updates.