Become an Auxiliary Firefighter
The San Gabriel Fire Department (SGFD) is currently accepting applications for Auxiliary Firefighters to fill present and future positions. This program is designed to provide recent Fire Academy graduates with an opportunity to gain valuable work experience in a real-life fire station setting. Auxiliary Firefighters will be trained and developed in preparation to become a full-time, paid professional firefighter.
Auxiliary firefighters will be responsible for the following:
- Responding to all emergency calls, including medical aids, fires, traffic accidents, fire alarms, and rescues.
- Learning how to maintain apparatus, equipment, and the fire station.
- Participate in progressive training, conduct education/training drills, perform fire inspections, interact with the public, and perform other essential tasks.
All these responsibilities aim to prepare them for a successful career as a probationary firefighter and beyond.
The San Gabriel Fire Department has a long history of exemplary service to its community, and joining this program is an incredible opportunity to serve alongside a premier fire department. During the tenure, auxiliary firefighters will be required to continuously test for available full-time firefighter opportunities and receive coaching, training, and support from SGFD personnel.
This voluntary program requires a commitment of one 24-hour shift per week on a designated day. Join us today and become a part of the future of the fire service and future firefighters.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Submit a completed application
- Commit to one 24-hour shift per week
- Have a valid California Drivers License with a good driving record
- Have a valid EMT card from the State of California
- Have a valid CPR card
- Obtain a Certificate of Completion from a State of California Accredited Fire Academy
- Have a valid CPAT or Biddle exam within one year @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- An oral interview to determine the selection for the position
- Candidates will be required to complete a LiveScan.
- On the orientation day, candidates will review policies and procedures, go over the Auxiliary Firefighter taskbook, and receive gear as San Gabriel Auxiliary Firefighters. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>