As part of our partnership with the Asian Youth Center and KaBOOM!, we’re happy to announce that the San Gabriel Public Works Department is in the process of removing the old Smith Park playground equipment. The playground will be replaced by a new playground sponsored by The CarMax Foundation and inspired by the designs of kids from the San Gabriel Community. Originally constructed in 1995, the set included two slides, a swing set, an underground speaking tube that no longer worked and a spring-mounted dinosaur.
Construction crews are expected to complete their work by the end of this week after fully deconstructing the old playground set and removing the playground sand. With our partnership now underway, we’re now focused on getting enough volunteers for Build Day on March 14.
Build Day is your chance to help construct a new playground at Smith Park. No prior construction experience is required.
Volunteers should be ages 18 and over
- Be sure to wear comfortable clothes you don’t mind getting dirty and closed toe shoes
- Gloves, goggles, breakfast and lunch will be provided
- All volunteers will be given a special volunteer T-shirt to wear during Build Day
- Youth activities will be provided
- The day will be filled with hard work and a special visit from members of the LA Clippers organization
To volunteer, please click here.