Living with Coyotes

    • Q: If human society says they can not help, who can I call next?
    • A: If the coyote (any wildlife) is deceased or immobile, make sure to let Humane Society know so they can pick it up.

      1. If the coyote is injured but still mobile, first thing is to report it. [add link]. The reporting link has different levels of encounter, base on the reported data, the agency will assess and take appropriate actions.  It is important not to engage the animal.
      2. If the coyote is in good health, report the sighting 

      Q: Why can’t the City trap coyotes?

      A: State law mandates cohabitation with wildlife so trapping is prohibited.

      Q: Can I trap the coyote on my own?

      A: It is not recommended for safety reasons. However, property owner have rights to take any action as deem appropriate within their own property.

      Q: I see a coyote den on a vacant lot or building next to my house, what do I do?

      A: Report the sighting – state law mandates cohabitation with wildlife. Refer to the “How can I lessen the likelihood of a coyote encounter” section of this website on protecting your property and pets.

      Q: How do the State agencies like the State of California Fish and Wildlife involve in urban coyotes?

      A: They assist in sever and extraordinary case. Here is a link to their website for more information.

      Q: Who do I call if I am attacked by coyotes?

      A: Find a safe location and call 911 immediately.

      Q: I see a lot of coyote traffic in the flood channel, is that within the city’s jurisdiction?

      A: No. The flood channel is the jurisdiction of Los Angeles County Flood Control. Here is their website. But remember, state law mandates that we co-existing. So it’s important to report the sighting to help the agencies with the data.

    • Recommended Wildlife Incident Reporting Protocol

      Non-emergency reports (coyotes) including general sightings: Coyote Encounter Report at

      Non-emergency reports (coyotes) including general coyote sightings: Coyote Cacher (UC Cooperative Extension) at

      Injured, orphaned, sick wildlife: Local wildlife rehabilitator (must transport wildlife to them), Humane Society, or CDFW Regional Office.

      Human-wildlife conflicts (all species), incidents or encounters including injured, orphaned, general nuisance, and potential public safety concerns: CDFW online statewide Wildlife Incident Reporting (WIR) System at